Psychotherapy at Bryn Mawr Care is often used either alone or in combination with medications to treat mental illnesses. During psychotherapy, an individual with mental illness talks to a licensed and trained health care professional who helps him or her identify and work through the factors that may be triggering their illness.
Psychotherapy helps individuals with mental disorder:
- Understand the behaviors and emotions that contribute to his or her illness.
- Understand and identify the life problems or events — like a major illness, a death in the family, a loss of a job and which aspects of those problems they may be able to solve or improve.
- Regain a sense of control and joy in life.
- Learn coping techniques and problem-solving skills.
Residents at Bryn Mawr Care may undergo psychotherapy in a variety of formats, these may include:
Individual therapy with a therapist.
Group therapy with two or more residents. They are able to share experiences and learn from each other and share common feelings and experiences.
Marital/couples therapy helps spouses and partners understand why their loved one has a mental disorder, what changes in communication and behaviors can help, and what they can do to cope.
Family therapy is a key part of the psychotherapy that helps residents with mental illness get better. It is sometimes helpful for family members to understand what their loved one is going through, how they themselves can cope, and what they can do to help.
Residents at Bryn Mawr Care are highly encouraged to attend all of their scheduled therapy sessions. The effectiveness of therapy depends on residents’ active participation.
Psychotherapy with Mentally Ill residents at our facility helps:
- Identify sources of stress
- Restructure priorities: Emphasize positive, effective behavior.
- Provides recreational and pleasurable activities.
- Provides alternatives and methods for reducing and managing stress.
If you are interested in learning more about our programs and services for your loved one please contact our Admissions Office at 773-561-7040